I see patients just like you every day. And they all have one thing in common: they want to look their best. That is why I incorporate a few moments of skin care tips into every visit – even if they are coming for a medical problem.
The number one question I get from my patients is “what do you do for YOUR skin?” I often shy away from this question because I understand that what works well for me may not work well for them because we all have unique skin care needs.
However, today I am in a sharing mood so I am going to give you my daily routine in a few easy steps. Keep reading, it will surprise you!!!
I’m up before 6 every morning to hit the gym. That leaves me about 40 min to get ready for the office so I like to keep it short and sweet.
- I use La Roche- Posay Toleriane Purifying Foaming Cleanser. I like this cleanser because it gets my oily skin clean without over drying.
- My toners change with the season but currently, I am in love with The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% toner. Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid (AHA) that offers mild exfoliation which helps keep my gigantic pores clean and evens out the texture of skin.
- Vitamin C serum – I am currently the tester for my very own Vitamin C Mushroom serum (coming soon!). Vitamin C serum is a powerhouse antioxidant and skin brightener that is a must have in any skin care routine.
- Sunscreen. Every single day of the year I wear sunscreen. I love Elta MD UV Clear. It is not oily and it does not give my brown skin that grey look some sunscreens can give.
- Twice a week I apply a mask before I get in the shower. I love Caudalie purifying mask. My skin is oil pone and it does a great job of absorbing excess sebum without drying out my skin.
I don’t know about you, but the first thing I do when I walk in the house is strip, put on lounge clothes and wash my face. There is something about a clean, hydrated face that is relaxing so I have to do it to wind down.
- I wash my face at night with a double cleanse method because I do use a light foundation and want it to be completely removed. I like Micellar water then I follow with my La Roche Cleanser. Does the trick every time.
- Moisturize with Boscia Gel Moisturizer. I like its hydrating gel that does not leave my oil prone skin looking greasy.
- I am obsessed with a good eye cream so I change it up every few months. My eyes tend to get dark circles and my current favorite eye cream is Kiehls midnight recovery eye cream. No eye cream is a miracle – but I find this one to make a noticeable difference in my dark circles and fine lines.
- Retinol Serum – I currently use my own retinol with antioxidants (coming soon, I promise!) If you are old enough to remember flip phones you definitely need a retinol serum in your life. My retinol serum is delivered using a patented micro encapsulation which means I can use it every night without irritation.
- Petroleum jelly on my lips. Yep, I said it. Good old fashioned petroleum jelly works wonders keeping these lips of my smooth. Especially in the winter.
So that is my routine! Most are surprised that it is simple, quick and mixes higher end products with drug store brands. I am a strong believer in using what works for me. I don’t get caught up in the brand, what current star is using it, nor do I believe that more money always means better quality.