Are you still getting stubborn acne way after your 10-year high school reunion? Were blessed not have acne in your teens only to get it while you are raising teens? As frustrating as it is, acne can occur at any age. The challenge for more mature skin is that some of the products we use for anti-aging can exacerbate acne and some of the products we use for acne can make our skin look older and duller. If acne is still a challenge for you, keep reading for some acne care tips just for you.
- Choose anti- acne products which are formulated to be gentle, nondrying yet still effective for acne. The best place to start is an exfoliator with salicylic acid (BHA). I would also suggest 2.5% benzoyl peroxide which works well with salicylic acid to control acne.
- Make sure your acne products have lower percentage active ingredients. Studies show higher concentrations are not only more irritating, they are not even more effective
- Continue to use a moisturizer even if your skin is oily. Cleansers strip skin of natural oils and when you do not moisturize, the body produces more oil to compensate. Using a light moisturizer keeps natural production at bay.
- Make sure your anti-aging products use the lightest formulas available such as a gel.
- Make sure your anti-aging products contain niacinamide and retinol since these ingredients not only improve skin tone and fine lines, but also treat mild acne.
If you have tried several over the counter products for acne and are still experiencing problems, see your Dermatology provider or esthetician.
Join the conversation! Become a Perfect Skin Code Beauty Insider by joining our FB group.
Here’s to your perfect skin!
CEO Perfect Skin Code